Thursday, February 16, 2006

My tribute to Asha Aunty

Feb 11, 2006 will remain as one of the saddest days of my life. I lost someone who I had known probably since the day I was born. Her name is Mrs. Asha Mongia. She was my Aunt, one of my best friend's mom, my mom's best friend and just so many other things. Its hard to imagine she's not there anymore with us to share our sorrow's, sad times and most importantly the joy and happiness.

The Mongia family have been our long time family friends. The kids almost same age, we grew up together, moved to different neighborhoods, changed houses together. Both us and the Mongia family have been in the same neighborhood for many many years now. The bond between the families is very hard to explain. They were just like family, to such an extent that our respective families knew each other very well. I would say the Mongia family knew our side of the family much better, because I will admit, the Mongia's just happened to be more friendly and probably the nicest people I have met.

Aunty, she was commonly known as Mickey 'ki' Mummy (Mickey's Mom) in our house, was definitely one of the most friendly person. She always carried herself with a big smiling face. Every time I think about her, I remember that smile and her trademark glow on the face. She has 2 kids in their late 20's and looking at her, you could easily miss that fact.

Loosing Aunty, was the first time I came close to loosing someone really close. Its the first time I realized, how people around you are affected when you are gone. To know a person all your life and then to have that person taken away from you suddenly is devastating.

Personally, its been very very emotional so far and I know its been the same for my family. Its probably a bigger loss for my mother. My mom lost her best friend. Everyone who knew my Mom and Aunty will tell you, they were inseparable. Whether it meant taking those long evening walks, going shopping, the gossip, discussing family issues, they were always together. Their names are separable by just one character. My Mom's name is Usha. I guess its only appropriate.

I know, I will miss her as I am sure my entire family will and so will the many number of people that knew her. Its been 5 days, since she passed away and its still difficult to comprehend that I wont be seeing her ever again and its only her pictures and memories that remain with us. The fact that next time I go to her house and I wont have her to greet me with that big smile of hers, is a really tough one to absorb. I cant even imagine how it must be like for her family, having to come home every evening and not seeing her around. I guess that’s what life is about and we just need to move on.

There are some people around us, we take them for granted. We think they will always be around for us, to share our good times and bad times. She was definitely one of those persons. Never imagined a time, when Aunty wont be around. In retrospect, I will admit I probably did not miss her presence so much, but now I definitely miss her absence. Now that she’s gone, its been a tough few days to think about times ahead, knowing shes not around anymore. Such are some relationships.

Asha Aunty was a nice and kind lady. I can remember a few people who have been personally affected and probably idebted by her kindness.

Writing this has been another emotional experience for me, but I really wanted Aunty to know, that she will always remain in our minds, hearts and memories and someone who will be missed for ever.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home